The fourth meal in our #5dayWeqayaChallenge is a paleo Creamy Basil and Tomato Chicken, one of Basiligo’s most popular mains. It can be had for lunch or dinner, is gluten-free and can be modified to be vegan and vegetarian. The versatile curry-like dish pairs well with rice, quinoa, pasta, zucchini noodles and almost any starch you can think of!
- Prepare the pesto. Place the basil and the pine nuts in a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse until the pine nuts break down. Add 3 cloves of garlic and pulse several more times. If using a food processor, pour in the extra virgin olive oil while the food processor is running. If using a blender, add one tablespoon of olive oil and pulse several times. Stir in the salt and ground pepper, according to taste. Your pesto sauce is done! Set it aside.
- Cube the chicken and set it aside.
- Dice the onion and set it aside. Dice the garlic and set it aside.
- Put a pan on medium to high heat. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Stir for two to three minutes. Do not allow to turn brown.
- Add the chicken. Stir with the garlic and onion. Add salt and pepper. Sear the chicken until it is almost thoroughly cooked.
- Add two to three tablespoons of pesto to the pan. Stir.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan. Stir into the chicken, onion, garlic and tomatoes thoroughly.
- Put the pan on low heat and allow the chicken and coconut milk to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut up the lemon, and place it on the side to be served with the Creamy Basil and Tomato Chicken. Enjoy!